Trelleborg Sealing Solutions Tewkesbury is looking for a Materials Development Engineer. The main responsibilities of the role are two-fold and include:
- Technology management of existing and new elastomer compounds at TSS Tewkesbury on all levels, from raw material suppliers, through the Laboratory and in production.
- Provision of application and design support to customers. TSS Tewkesbury supplies many products for demanding applications and there is a high demand for customer support, from the initial recommendation of appropriate elastomer materials and grades through to support when customers need improved product performance
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Undertake new material development activities in the field of high performance Elastomer technology (FFKM, FKM, HNBR, EPDM and other elastomers)
- Undertake analysis of materials and components using analytical and mechanical techniques
- Develop customer specific test methods
- Perform literature search in order to develop new technologies or identify new ingredients to enhance material properties
- Prepare high quality analysis and material recommendation reports to customers
- Support Material Development Manager managing the development projects from initiation to launch
- Actively participate in the ‘TSS’ wider functions of supporting Sales and Marketing teams
- Supporting the manufacturing, quality and NPI departments with technical support based on material properties
- Liaise closely with other internal and external partners such as suppliers, customers and other centres of excellence
- Report regularly on activity and progress via meetings and formal reporting.
Education and Experience
This role is appropriate to candidates qualified to a minimum of degree level in a scientific discipline. Several years relevant experience in elastomer technology and compounding is highly desirable.
Other candidates who can demonstrate the commitment and personal skills needed will be considered. A progressive attitude, willingness to learn, a keenness towards problem solving and commitment to continuous improvement are essential to the role.
- Ability to build and sustain good relationships with a range of internal and external stakeholders
- Have good communication skills
- Be self-motivating and able to work with minimum supervision when required
- Be organised and have good attention to detail
- Well organised, good time management. Able to meet deadlines
- Strong analytical skills
- High attention to detail
- Strong IT skills (good familiarity with MS packages, able to use ERP systems)
- Set an example by actively contributing to departmental and company goals
- Take initiative with respect to personal development, seeking additional training or direction, as needed
- Build quality into work. Ensure processes are consistent with the company quality objectives
- Make suggestions for improvements in areas of cost management, processes and quality
- Able to work well as part of a team
- Must be able to work independently, accurately and efficiently