Based at our Leicester site in the UK, the candidate will work as part of a team supporting both internal and external customers in the design, application and production of our manufactured products. You will need to have a thorough understanding of polymer technology, production and test methods and surface treatment application techniques. You will develop robust manufacturing processes for specific applications/customer requirements meeting all drawing requirements and document the results as part of the PTO and if required the PPAP / FAI part submission.
As a technologist, your responsibilities will include:
- Customer Liaison - having understood the customer needs the Technologist is expected to continue to work closely with all customers, internal and sometimes external. This could include the initial specification phase, the product design freeze and approval phase. Occasional business travel will be required to support this.
- Concept Proposals - The Technologist will be responsible for creating a concept proposal. Including the appropriate technical specification and costs as well as assessing the feasibility of any proposed changes to current manufacturing processes and any other specifications.
- Performance Criteria - All tests should comply with the latest national, international standards and best practice knowledge to demonstrate that the solution proposed meets the customer’s technical requirements.
- Design Solution - From a clear design drawing the technologist will prepare all production related documents required to manufacture the product to drawing. Including Manufacturing specification, test program and setting sheets, FMEA, moulding programs and any process control documents required.
- Cost Effective Manufacture - the Technologist will ensure that the product is able to be readily manufactured in a timely and cost-effective manner by understanding the manufacturing implications of the design and manufacturing processes.
- Customer Focus - the Technologist will be dedicated to providing the highest level of customer service and answer all enquiries in a timely manner.
- Guidance and teaching - the Technologist shall provide assistance as required to all other department members and share knowledge of their experience. They shall advise on best practice, equipment and processing solutions proposed.
- The suitable candidate will be degree educated in mechanical or polymer engineering and/or have at least 5 years’ experience in a similar role
- Product design experience – able to understand complex requirements from engineered drawings and translate that into a suitable solution.
- Excellent communication skills across all business levels (internal & external).
- Appreciation of engineering applications particularly with anti-vibration technology.
- Knowledge of various methods of manufacture of metal parts.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Flexible and able to work under pressure whilst also maintaining a high level of attention to detail.
- Experience of working with Infor M3 ERP system is desirable, however not essential